If you are a sole trader, a small business owner or a not-for-profit organisation in NSW, you may be eligible for a small business fees and charges rebate of $1500. This includes farming businesses.
The rebate can be used to offset the costs of eligible NSW and local government fees and charges. These include, but are not limited to: council rates, food authority licences, liquor licences, tradesperson licences, event fees, outdoor seating fees, etc. Eligible businesses or not-for-profits only need to apply for the rebate once, but can submit multiple claims until the full value of $1500 is reached.
The rebate can only be used for eligible fees and charges due and paid from 1 March 2021 to 30 June 2022. It cannot be used for fines or penalties, fees and charges that have the key purpose of discouraging behaviours or inducing behaviour changes, Commonwealth government charges, rent on government premises, or taxes.
To be eligible for this rebate, small businesses (including non-employing sole traders) and not-for-profit organisations must:
- have total Australian wages below the NSW Government 2020-2021 payroll tax threshold of $1.2 million
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN) registered in NSW and/or have business premises physically located and operating in NSW
- be registered for goods and services tax (GST)
- provide a declaration that the business has a turnover of at least $75,000 per year.
Note: Only one $1500 rebate is available for each ABN.
What you need
To apply for the rebate, you'll need:
- a MyServiceNSW Account
- your proof of identity
- your valid ABN/ACN
- your business banking details for payment
- other evidence for not-for-profits, including an accountant's letter verifying turnover of more than $75,000 per year.
You will need to supply supporting documentation when applying for the rebate and each time you make a claim, you will need to provide invoices and receipts showing payment of eligible fees or charges.
Proof of identity
Two proof of identity documents are required. They may include:
- Australian driver licence
- Medicare card
- Australian passport
- Australian birth certificate
- Australian travel visa
- Australian citizenship certificate
- Australian certificate of registration by descent
- Australian ImmiCard.
How to apply
The application can be lodged online through Service NSW website. Or if you are not able to apply online, you can call 13 77 88.
Guidelines on how to apply online can be found here.
If you would like any further information or assistance in regards to NSW small business fees and charges rebate please contact us on 1300 885 761.