The 2021 COVID-19 Micro-Business Grant provides a fortnightly payment of $1,500 to NSW micro businesses (small business, sole traders or not-for-profits organisations with aggregated annual turnover between $30,000 and $75,000) who have been impacted by the recent COVID-19 restrictions.
Applications opened on 26 July 2021 and close at 11:59pm on 18 October 2021.
To be eligible, a business must:
- have an active Australian Business Number (ABN) registered in, or demonstrate your business was primarily operating in, NSW as at 1 June 2021;
- have had aggregated annual turnover between $30,000 and $75,000 for the year ended 30 June 2020;
- have experienced a decline in turnover of 30% or more due to the public health orders over a minimum 2-week period within the Greater Sydney lockdown period (commenced 26 June 2021 and due to end 28 August 2021), compared to the same period in 2019;
- have business costs for which no other government support is available;
- have not applied for either the 2021 COVID-19 Business Grant or the JobSaver payment;
- maintain your employee headcount as at 13 July 2021 while receiving payments from this grant, if you're an employing business;
- have this business as your primary income source, if you're a non-employing business such as a sole trader.
Note: Only one application can be submitted for a single ABN, therefore separate businesses under one ABN will not be eligible separately.
Certain entities, including those primarily earning passive income (such as rents, interest or dividends) or those with an ABN registered after 1 June 2021, are not eligible for this grant.
Evidence to support eligibility
- submit evidence of your business' decline in turnover of 30% or more over a minimum 2-week period within the Greater Sydney lockdown period (commenced 26 June and due to end 28 August 2021) compared to the same period in 2019. This will be in the form of a:
- letter from a qualified accountant, registered tax agent or registered BAS agent, or
- business bank account statement (separate from any personal accounts).
- submit evidence of an aggregated annual turnover between $30,000 and $75,000 for the year ended 30 June 2020. This can be in a form of a:
- letter from a qualified accountant, registered tax agent or registered BAS agent; or
- business activity statement (BAS); or
- business bank account statement (separate from any personal accounts); or
- Australian income tax return (or Notice of Assessment) – businesses can choose to redact their tax file number.
- if you do not have employees, declare that the business is the primary income source for the owner of the business;
- if you do have employees, declare that you will maintain your employee headcount on 13 July 2021 for the period for which the business is receiving grant payments and notify Service NSW if employee headcount declines over the period of the payment due to any actions of the business, and
- lodge other supporting documents, as required, to demonstrate that they meet the eligibility criteria.
If your micro-business does not meet all the eligibility criteria, you may still be able to apply for the grant. See the alternative circumstances outlined in the guidelines.
What you need
- a MyServiceNSW Account
- your proof of identity
- your valid ABN/ACN number
- your business banking details for payment
- a business activity statement (BAS)
- Australian income tax return or Notice of Assessment.
Once deemed eligible, businesses will receive automatic fortnightly payments. Businesses will not need to re-apply, but businesses with employees must notify Service NSW if they are not maintaining the number of employees they had on 13 July 2021. Payments will be made in arrears with the first payment backdated to 26 June 2021.
How to apply
Details of Micro-Business Grant can be accessed here.
The application can be lodged online through Service NSW website. Or if you are not able to apply online, you can call 13 77 88.
If you would like any further information or assistance with Micro-Business Grant please contact us on 1300 885 761.