Who can claim Fuel Tax credits?
You may be eligible to claim fuel tax credits for fuel purchased for use in your business. To be eligible you must:
- Be registered for GST
- Use the fuel for an eligible activity including but not limited to:
- Use in heavy vehicles travelling on public roads if the vehicle has a gross vehicle mass (GVM) greater than 4.5 tonnes.
- Use in business activities such as agriculture, forestry, mining, construction and manufacturing if the vehicle (including light vehicles) was travelling on private roads and off public roads.
Further details regarding eligible fuels and business activities can be found on the ATO website.
Indexation of rates:
The rates for fuel tax credits are indexed bi-annually on 1 February and 1 August in line with the Consumer Price Index (CPI).
The indexed rates for the period from 2 August 2021 to 31 January 2022 are as follows:
- Increase from 16.5 to 16.9 cents per litre for liquid fuels used in a heavy vehicle on public roads;
- Increase from 42.7 to 43.3 cents per litre for liquid fuels in all other business uses;
- Increase from 18.305 to 18.565 cents per litre for E85 (85% ethanol/15% petrol) in all business uses except heavy vehicles on public roads;
- Increase from 13.9 to 14.1 cents per litre for liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) ; and
- Increase from 29.3 to 29.7 cents per kilogram for compressed natural gas (CNG) and liquefied natural gas (LNG).
These changes will affect fuel tax credit calculations for September quarter Activity Statements.
If you claim less than $10,000 in fuel credits each year you can calculate your fuel tax credit using the rate that applies at the end of the BAS period.
The ATO fuel tax credit calculator can be found here.
Please contact us on 1300 885 761 for more information.